Banks

As a self-funded retiree, Australia’s banks are important to me:   directly and indirectly, a sizeable chunk of my superannuation is invested in their shares!    Yet it seems to be accepted wisdom that there have been cultural issues with them.   Is this changing?

img_0094aThe banks have recently spent a lot of money to tell us that it is (and also that we’ll get better “products” and improved services, too).  Well, we’ll see.  The issue, of course, is that they might get 99% of things right, but when they do, that’s just accepted as to be expected.   But if there’s a lapse – the remaining 1% – the media and public will latch on to it, with the result that the credibility of the banks will be shattered.

In the meantime, noticeable by its omission from the recent advertising seems to have been any suggestion that the remuneration packages for senior executives in the banking sector might be reviewed – an aspect that seems to be raised every time a problem with the banks comes up.

img_0089a

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s